Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snowy weather

There's nothing like good old fashioned cooking to warm you up during a nor'easter.  Yesterday I took the top round roast we picked up in Santee out of the freezer.  I rubbed it with cumin, ginger, pepper, and my seasoning blend, stuck it in the marinator and dashed through the flurries to Whole Foods for some root vegetables.  I already had a half bunch of carrots (I avoid buying the ones in the bag for obvious reasons), so I bought parsnips, rutabagas, gold potatoes, and a stalk of brussel sprouts. 

By the time I got home the snow was heavy so of course the kids went out to play while I seared the meat.  I sauteed an onion then added french dressing, rice vinegar, and a little broth (I have no idea why but it produced a nice jus).  I put the meat on a small rack and cooked under pressure...I released the pressure and added the seasoned veggies then cooked a bit more.  In less than one hour we had an immensely flavorful one-pot meal with brussel sprouts and meyer lemonade (I think I'm addicted to meyers). 

No comments:

Post a Comment