Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Substitutions

I am really running these cookies and key lime pie in the ground...that's because they're relatively easy to make and it's not as stressful as baking cakes.  Today I made cookies for hostess gifts and I planned to make a crustless key lime pie because there was a slim chance that some friends would stop by this evening.

I got started on the cookies and realized that I was out of brown sugar...I almost panicked until my daughter reminded me that brown sugar was simply molasses added to white sugar - problem solved.  The cookie baking was seamless. 

While I was prepping for the pie I realized that I had no limes and no Nellie's.  However I did have meyer lemons...I figured it would be a simple substitution but I should have considered the fact that meyers are less acidic and included some zest.  I made some vanilla bean whipped cream to top it off along with a bit of zest. 

Whole Foods had a buy one-get one free sale on Allegro yesterday, so I picked up some Cafe Blend because according to the label it seemed like an ideal dessert coffee. It truly had a lush, creamy body as advertised.

No comments:

Post a Comment