Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Casserole?

Before I knew any better, you couldn't tell me I wasn't doing something with the chicken, condensed soup, and stuffing casseroles that you find in those church cooking books. 

I bought a whole chicken cut up from Whole Foods earlier this week and was seriously considering a casserole.  Tonight, after tubing, we went to Wegman's in Collegeville (the one in Cherry Hill is better, the construction at Town Center made me realize that Wegman's is a big box shopping center anchor store and I'm not sure how I feel about that).  I picked up my staples and then made my way to the other side of the market and had the nerve to pick up a can of condensed soup - the ingredients were scary. 

We got home around 930pm; I needed to make the chicken for tomorrow's dinner because it's back to the Bronx for me.  I decided to make a pseudo-cream of chicken/celery soup.  I sauteed garlic, onions, celery, then added the chicken spine, gizzards, etc (when Whole Foods gives you a whole chicken cut up, that's exactly what they mean); brought that to a boil with the celery leaves (per my daughter who thinks she's a chef), and then added a half-can of evaporated milk (it's all I had). 

I soaked whole wheat breadcrumbs in a can of tomatoes, put broccoli florets in a baking dish, topped that with the chicken (I marinated it before we left), poured the soup over it and topped it with the breadcrumb mixture.  That's when I realized that I probably should've layered it differently so that the chicken could brown...it smells really good, we'll see how it tastes tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment