Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken, again

Drumsticks are always an option - they're so versatile - tonight it was tandoori.  After Girl Scouts, I marinated the chicken and then relaxed.  Around 630p it occurred to me that I needed to come up with some sides.  I have a stockpile of yams and I thought about currying them but it just seemed weird so I called my Indian friend for an idea other than plain old rice. 

She suggested pilau - I told her about the Trinidadian pelau and how the Indian cuisine in the West Indies has an interesting Caribbean flair...when you think about it, colonial exploitation resulted in wonderful cuisine among ethnic groups in the western hemisphere. 

I made the pilau - sauteed onions, ginger, garlic, an abbreviated garam masala, peas & carrots, and of course rice.  I didn't feel comfortable passing that off as a vegetable dish so I decided to make kale (as a substitute for spinach) - I Indianized it by sauteing onions, garlic, ginger, tomato paste and adding turmeric - I considered cardamon, etc but wasn't sure how that would work with the kale so I stuck to the basics. 

We thoroughly enjoyed dinner.   

2 comments:

  1. So what dish did your "Indianized" kale remind you of? Did it come close to any traditional Indian favorite you had in mind? As we spoke about this earlier in the day, I could imagine it turning out to be a good tasting side resembling some Indian dish I've had before - but which one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty good but I probably should've added the garam marsala for more authenticity

    ReplyDelete