Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Surprisingly simple

Thursday night we ate dinner before 6pm; of course we were ravenous by 8pm.  My husband requested timtimo - so I thought I might try it with the red lentils for a bit more authenticity.  The red lentil, is actually pink and turns yellow when cooked - these cooked faster than the brown lentils; they seem to be similar to a split pea thus the result was a pastier stew.  I made cabbage on the side, we loved it - onions, garlic, tomato paste, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, seasoning, and turmeric.  This was a hearty meatless meal, served with injera and repeated Friday to complete my 3-day vegetarian meal plan. 

I want to do a cleanse and I would like to incorporate some of the ancient grains - in contrast to the dominant global monocultures - maize and wheat - grains such as barley, rye, spelt, and of course quinoa are not only loaded with nutritional value, they are also chock full of flavor; as a matter of fact authentic injera is made from millet (teff).

I will certainly have to look to the East for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment