Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Yummy yams

Whenever I get a new gadget, I generally run it into the ground and then let it collect dust.  Apparently I'm on a roll with this pressure cooker...I used it again for a late night "dish". 

Somehow I had a stockpile of sweet potatoes and yams - although we've eaten yams quite frequently in the past week or so, this morning there were at least 8 lbs in the house so I thought I might make a pie because I couldn't imagine eating another baked sweet potato. 

As I mentioned previously, I'm not a sweet potato pie maker - my aunt usually makes 15-20 pies at Thanksgiving and she reserves 1 or 2 for me - she uses lemon extract and alot of cinnamon; my mom makes a nice balanced pie; and my aunt in Canton makes the best...I love sweet potato pie so much that I used to barter my carrot cakes for my friend's husband's pies. 

I finished teaching at 7 and went to Wegmans, I called home and asked my daughter to peel the sweet potatoes - yes 5 lbs...I came home and the pressure cooker was sitting on the counter - eureka - it was already 830 and according to the manual, they only needed to cook for 5 minutes - I was in business.  I cooked them with a cup of OJ and then added my ingredients which I subsequently recorded as a recipe!

45 minutes later I took the 4 deep-dish pies from the oven, let them stand for a bit and cut a warm piece - just the right amount of sweetness, only it didn't taste like the typical pie;  uh-oh, I was thinking that the spices need to be increased but my husband said that it didn't need to taste typical and described it as fresh and light - he said it was a refreshing surprise to actually taste the sweet potatoes. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like dessert was a success! I'm sure you will take pressure cooking to new dimensions!

    ReplyDelete