Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, April 2, 2010

Tomato pie

I enjoy the Low Country because of the slow pace and the good eatin' - I indulge daily in shrimp but the cold winter has interfered with my produce plans. Today I reflected on what Low Country really is - tidal marsh - when thinking from this perspective, this explains alot.  I've been curious about the Gullah culture but hadn't had the opportunity to do any exploration - essentially the creolization of slaves and their masters - the language, cooking style, etc have been preserved in the low country.  This is what makes southern cooking so flavorful. 

But something is not quite right - not only are there land grabs, but in some instances low country dwellers aren't even the proprietors of their own culture. 

I went to Main's Market today - it advertises Gullah cooking...I had shrimp, string beans (greens cooked with pork), mac and cheese, tomato pie, and of course sweet tea.  The tomato pie was delicious so of course I confirmed what I suspected to be the ingredients - tomatoes; seasoning; onions and green pepper; sugar; cheese and real mayonnaise; and cracker crumbs.  I can't wait to go home and make it.  I was even invited to Easter service but we're leaving on Saturday...she tried to entice me with Easter breakfast, but the service just doesn't work for my schedule. 

In addition to the pie recipe, I learned of a strange dynamic - she's an employee at the store...her family owns the store but leased it to Mr. Main who needless to say is not Gullah. BTW - I've been doing shrump n grits all wrong - not only are the grits supposed to be fried, but it's supposed to be topped with a shrimp gravy. 

After a long day in Savannah, I made it back to Edisto and made shrimp, grits, and collard greens - I decided to use green peppers because of the Gullah influence and it really enhanced the veggies (similar to the green pepper enhancement of Liberian food) - just sauteed onions, garlic, green peppers, collards and a bit of seasoning, then simmered - unbelievably delicious.  Red Diamond Sweet Tea and a pecan pie from Carolina Cherry Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment