Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Oxtail stew

I'm loving this energy efficient method of cooking...I think this 10 quart pressure cooker might be the most useful kitchen gadget I've purchased...it beats a crock pot hands down because it doesn't degrade the food - so many of my Eastern friends own pressure cookers - perhaps this is because in their country of origin they don't have access to (or are not willing to waste) fuel for simmering. 

This has been a jam packed weekend - yesterday all day CPR/First Aid training, today a GS parent meeting then a field trip - what's for dinner - oxtails...fortunately my husband is now off on Sundays so he was able to prepare the rub/marinade while I dashed out the door this morning - he forgot a couple of things but did a great job - lime, scallions, peppers, celery (including the leaves), garlic, thyme, and green seasoning.  I came home, browned the meat, added tomatoes, lentils, and brown seasoning, then cooked under pressure - I forgot to time it, it probably was 30-45 minutes...I was a little apprehensive about pressure cooking the tails because I thought they needed time to break down the gelatinous fat that surrounds them but when I tasted the meat, the flavor was excellent and texture was good, however I added 10 minutes just for good measure.

We gobbled up those savory tails and then realized that we had no vegetable - and the only option is eggplant, so I guess we're cavemen tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment