Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, June 4, 2010

Creme delite

Humans are the only mammals that consume milk produced by other species and they have been doing it for millennia.  A cow (or buffalo) can essentially convert grass into milk on a daily basis for years versus raising a cow, slaughtering it, and feasting for a couple of days.  According to the dairy association, milk does a body good - there's protein, fat, vitamins, etc...if you can tolerate the lactose. 

There's a lot that goes into producing that opaque white liquid that is in such demand that Monsanto (aka chemical expert in genetically modified food) developed rbST (rBGH) to increase cow's lactation...but that's a topic for another day.  Milk is pasteurized (heated to kill pathogens), homogenized (pressurized to stop the cream from separating in the milk), and like flour is sometimes bleached with benzoyl peroxide. 

Because milk requires refrigeration, consumption is related to per capita income.  However, people all over the world consume a variety of dairy products on a daily basis - yogurt, cheese, cream, and other milk products that have longer shelf lives or do not require refrigeration.  In many cultures, a variety of canned creamy products might be served with breakfast making dairy products are a significant source of calories around the world. 

Growing up we didn't drink milk and you'll never catch me drinking a glass of cold white milk (but I will drink laban), or dipping my cookies or pastries in milk.  Cream is a different story.  I will make a creamy soup in a minute.  I prefer heavy cream in my coffee, but will settle for half and half.  I love ice cream (made from cream, milk, vanilla, sugar - I can't eat that other stuff) and I don't mind making my own.  Whipped cream is so yummy.  Kheer is delicious. I keep my pantry stocked with evaporated milk and heavy cream in the fridge.

I never thought about my love affair with rich fatty cream until I made ambrosia salad twice this week. I got to thinking about sweetened condensed milk and the many ethnic desserts that use this ingredient. I used it for the first time a few years ago when an Iranian friend showed me a simple dessert made from roasted vermicelli and condensed milk.  It's a product of the Industrial Revolution - it solves the problem of storing and transporting milk and it's so sweet and creamy.

2 comments:

  1. can you email me the recipe for the roasted vermicelli and milk? I have a package of this that someone gave me to make cookies and I have no idea how to make the cookies soooo - might as well try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it was sauteed in butter, then add condensed milk and then i'm not sure...kinda reminded me of baklava.

    ReplyDelete