Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spring onions and beef

Beef negamaki was my all time favorite Japanese restaurant dish...nowadays it seems hard to come by. The mongolian beef at PF Chang's is a close runner up.  I guess it's all about the scallions.  For the last few days I've had an Asian obsession. Friday, my husband and I went to Penang's in Chinatown (a Malaysian restaurant with a menu that makes you want to cross the Pacific), then it was PF Chang's Sunday for dinner. 

The remaining 2lbs of that chuck roast was in the fridge so I thought I might take a stab at pepper steak - it occurred to me that I had never made it in my life - I think I was scared that I wouldn't be able to produce the right flavor but I decided to work with inspiration from the mongolian beef and surprisingly the escabeche fish. 

I mixed up a marinade similar to what I do for escabeche - tamari, brown sugar, water...added a bit of corn starch and marinated the beef with some thinly sliced ginger.  My husband had sliced a vidalia onion, some colored sweet peppers, and some scallions that I sauteed with a head of garlic. 

After I added the marinated meat I realized I should've seared it first - but at 10pm, that wasn't going to happen.  I stir fried and then added the remaining marinade - brought to a boil then simmered...added a dash of oyster sauce and voila - a delicious dinner was served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment