Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Subdued spice

I haven't made zigni (with chicken) in ages, opting instead for lentils or beef.  However, because I'm working with what's in the freezer, I made zigni with drumsticks on Sunday.

I ran out of berbere when I made the qulwah but I was able to get a refill from my Eritrean friend - there is definitely a difference in color and intensity between the Eritrean and Ethiopian blends...but they are both delicious.  I'm still waiting to get the 411 on alicha.  


As I was making the zigni I thought that it was going to be overly spicy...surprisingly it was mild, yet flavorful...my son actually ate quite a few drumsticks (normally he only eats the injera and the veggies).  The mildness was likely a result of the liquid produced by the chicken. 


The injera was very fresh but there was a slight problem with the veggies...someone had decided to send out emails while the kale was cooking resulting in a rather charred accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment