Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Seafood dilemma

Habitus is essentially social reproduction - the sensibilities, dispositions, perceptions, etc that one acquires - it's generally used in relation to class and cultural production but I like to think of it in terms of the lived experiences that makes you who you are.  

I suppose I've embraced this food cognition largely because of my upbringing, which I believe I've discussed here before (no beef, pork, salt, sugar, dairy, and organic when possible) - definitely an alternative lifestyle in the 80s.
My husband on the other hand grew up eating just about everything, most of it procured from purveyors of urban food. He watched Food Inc, I've reminded him to the point of nagging about HFCS, and we've talked about industrial produced beef and fish. Unfortunately old habits die hard and many of these taboo items continue to make it into our kitchen.


He means well, just as he did when he brought home shrimp, mussels, and fish from the seafood department of a local supermarket.  I had already taken the sirloin tip out of the freezer, but I knew I needed to cook the shrimp which I assumed to be previously frozen originating somewhere in Asia.  Imagine my surprise when the label said farm-raised. I almost went into a panic thinking about all of the waste, chemicals, and corn that went into the production of those shrimp.  Then I noticed the label also said 'may contain sulfites.'  Now I was really alarmed.  I made shrimp and grits but I just couldn't eat them...I guess I'm officially OCD when it comes to food...I'm sure it was mind over matter, but the shrimp had a smell that just wasn't palatable. 

Tuesday I made the sirloin with potatoes (very delicious - yukon, pressure cooked with broth, smashed with half and half and butter). I made the mussels as an appetizer. They were from Rhode Island, but they were little and quite a few were dead. Even with my cleaning process, there was grit in the juice. The sirloin and mussels laced the air with a strange aroma but the mussels, cooked in garlic, onions, and sun dried tomatoes, brought back childhood memories of going to Walt's and eating what seemed to be an unending supply of mussels with the extended family.  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete