Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oil & water

The first thing I thought of when President Obama approved offshore drilling was my Carolinian shrimp.  I have only recently began to enjoy these sweet, succulent sea creatures and I was afraid of how offshore drilling might impact the ecosystem.  Some might consider me a geek but I have a passion for coastal ecosystems, wetlands in particular.  They are as rich in biodiversity as the rain forest and until relatively recently was a misunderstood resource.  Just take a look at the history of engineering and politics along the Mississippi river and the subsequent impact on the delta, the residents of the bayou, and the Hurricane Katrina fiasco. 

I thought the damage would be physical...more of a hydrological disruption of spawning areas...I was certain the shrimp and oyster populations would decline over time - the thought was devastating...that was the absolute best seafood I have ever had, and it was the cheapest.  I thought Legal Seafood was tasty until I treated myself to Turner Fisheries at Copley Place.  Then there was Devon Seafood Grill in Hershey.  And now we've settled for Bonefish Grill because it makes sense with kids.  Despite the interesting preparations and the quality of the seafood, you can't top food straight from the sea.  I admit that the harvesting was likely via unsustainable trawling but my vocabulary is limited in terms of expressing the deliciousness of fresh seafood. 

Never in a million years would I have imagined that the impact was imminent.  And I certainly didn't expect it to be the result of a oil leak in a deep sea well that was shoddily constructed.  Every time I see an image or hear a news report, I get sick to my stomach.  It's not just for the selfish reason of my precious shrimp disappearing.  It's the seemingly lack of regard for the aquatic ecosystem.  The ocean is vast and unfortunately has become a receptacle for all kinds of physical, biological, and chemical pollutants.  We are a society living only in the present...this oil spill is a reality check - the future is no longer about our grandchildren, it's about us...we won't be able to utilize the earth's resources.  This catastrophe has devastated the people who are connected to the land, such as those along coastal Louisiana - their culture and livelihoods are awash in petroleum.  Shrimping is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment