Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Faux pas

I made two colossal mistakes yesterday.  First I drove by 9th Street and forgot to stop at DiBrunos and then I bought a piece of le petit 60% brie from Whole Foods.

The kids were happy to go to WF because they wanted more seaside cheddar.  My daughter inquired about other similar cheddars but since she wasn't talking to a cheese monger she wasn't able to broaden her repertoire.  I did ask why they suffocate the cheese by wrapping it in plastic, he said it was so that customers could easily see and buy what they wanted but offered to rewrap my purchase in wax paper.  He did agree that plastic wasn't a good choice for the bries and blues.  The crazy thing is that they sell cheese paper.

The second mistake was the brie.  The other day I struck up conversation with two Parisienne women and I noticed they had le petit in their shopping basket so of course I decided to be authentic and eschew the metropolitan brie that I've come to love.  I was foolishly impressed that it was so soft and squishy.

As soon as I arrived home, I unwrapped the cheese and was almost overcome by a pungency that bordered disgusting.  I convinced myself to forge ahead into authenticity so I cut a decent hunk to eat with some grapes.  It tasted as bad as it smelled.  I told myself that there would be a few bumps on this cheese path but when I returned to the kitchen and the smell was still lingering, I had no choice but to return the remaining brie to WF and get the metropolitan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment