Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, October 10, 2011

Habitual Habesha

Folks were kind of expecting me to make a carrot cake to mark my daughter's 13th birthday but there was no time for that.  I did however make one of her favorite meals - qulwa and okra.  She probably could eat habesha food daily and she often comments about the simplicity of it - free from common allergens. 

My days have been flying past me and today was no different.  I took beef cubes out of the freezer on Saturday with the intention to cook them Sunday but that didn't happen.  This afternoon I had a small window in which to cook so the only thing I could do was improvise. 

I had to figure out how to do what should be a slow cooked meal in a pressure cooker.  I'm not a fan of the qulwa stir fry because I prefer simmered.  I sauteed the onions, tomatoes, and berbere and let that simmer while I cut up the meat.  I turned off the pot, ran a few errands then returned home and put the meat in the pot and turned up the pressure.  By the time I cooked the okra the meat was ready...we set up the injera, then dug in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment