Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Banana buttermilk breakfast

I was hoping to finally go to the Radnor Hotel for brunch, but my sister decided to take my mother to Olive Garden instead...not interested. We last visited OG in June when my daughter moved up from 5th grade. I still remember everyone complaining about the food, I said - it's not Maggianos (not that that's the gold standard for Italian but it's certainly 1,000 times better than OG). Prepacks.

Perhaps I perpetuate gender roles. Since my daughter could walk and talk, I've purchased her cooking related products - miniature baking sets, I stood in line to get an autograph copy of Emeril's There's a Chef in My Soup...she does like cooking. Now that she's gone to the Restaurant School's camp, I even let her do some independent things.

What's for breakfast?

My daughter asked what we were having for breakfast...my plans for the Radnor Hotel were diminished, so I said - biryani...we have buckets of biryani - which has put my cooking spree on hold - guess I'll make pepper pot tomorrow and actually get some academic related work completed today.

I told her to make pancakes - my husband purchased some TJs mix 2 weeks ago - she got down the griddle (of course I have a griddle - I am a kitchen gadget junkie), and made the pancakes...we have no syrup (we use maple syrup, not that corn syrup, water, and carmel coloring concoction that they pass off in the supermarket), and we're out of honey as well. I will admit that we do buy clover honey, but wildflower is my favorite. Not to mention the locally produced Honey from the Hood at Greensgrow Farms. So, I made the substitute topping we use when there is no syrup or honey in the house.

Inspired by bananas foster.

I remember the first time I had bananas foster - at New Orleans Cafe in Media...it was oh so decadent...everything at that restaurant was delicious - the pecan crusted catfish, the tuna imperial, the mashed potatoes, even the whipped butter - but New Orleans is no more, I assume they over expanded - had 3 locations...we tracked the chef down at the Big Easy in Paoli - not even remotely close to what New Orleans Cafe had been. This is probably the reason I will never pursue training or a career on culinary arts - it's hit or miss and labor intensive. Ever read Kitchen Confidential?

I started the topping and let her finish it. The topping was tasty and the pancakes were beautiful and delicious. We had no protein, but my daughter said "bananas have potassium so that's good enough."

5 comments:

  1. sooo....
    think your so cool with your blog and pancakes. i've got news for you those pancakes and carrot cakes better be there when i come

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some cakes like this for breakfast a long time ago. I hope they taste as good as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I had Banannas Foster it was made by a college chum, from New Orleans (back in the days when dinosaurs cooked and I lived on campus!) Anyway, he had a bottle of brandy or something alcoholic and finished it off with a flourish, put the concoction over freshly churned vanilla ice cream (used real vanilla beans too). Of course I fell immediately in love with him. Would have married him but he was gay. This also began my fatal attraction to men that cook - my guy now is formally trained and gives me no end of joy to watch him in the kitchen. Interesting what food means to us emotionally...

    ReplyDelete