Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pizza for breakfast?

I will admit that I'm still working the TJ freezer conveniences...namely for breakfast. I have to be careful about what I eat for breakfast - if it has too many carbs, like oatmeal, then I'm starving 20 minutes later. So I need protein - Greek yogurt is great for that, loaded with protein. I wonder why everything Mediterranean is termed Greek. Sometimes I'll have sausages, crab cakes, or fish with grits or home fries. I also do smoothies and shakes - I love the avocado shake that the Lebanese prepare ( I think the Vietnamese make it as well).

I don't like eggs...I'm not sure if it's the smell, taste, consistency or what - I hate them. Always have. Well, maybe dislike them is a better description. I will eat eggs that are so loaded with stuff such that the eggs only serve to hold it together - that's how I take my omelets - veggies (plenty of onions) and one egg. And I can only do omelets in spurts.

Time dictates my breakfast choices. grilled cheese, crabcakes and yellow grits, veggie omelets, quiche, turkey sausage and homefries...the family loves waffles and pancakes with homemade toppings - but that's definitely a weekend endeavor. I like pizza...Pizza Olympiad, BBQ chicken pizza, Pizza Margherita - all from TJs.

Manqeesh.

Breakfast varies among cultures, obviously. Breakfast in Al Ain can be an assortment of many things - scrambled eggs, baba ganoush, pita, foul madaras, assorted cheeses and creams etc...but the best breakfast is manqeesh. The pastry is so light, almost puffed, and it can be topped with anything - zatar, labneh, cucumbers & tomatoes, olives, truffles. Served with cocktail and tea. Just thinking about it makes me smile. Sitting on the floor with the food on the miata, smiling and bobbing my head because I haven't mastered the language as I should.

Apparently eating makes me smile. I was at IHOP last week in Ardmore (the one on City Ave is disgusting) eating pancakes, turkey sausage, and hashbrowns...drinking one of those sugar loaded berry splashes...and smiling...the server walked by and said "I've never seen anyone smile before while eating, the food must really be good." I thought, is the the sign of an oncoming eating disorder? I don't go out for breakfast often, but when I do I prefer the Marriott, Cracker Barrel, IHOP, or Corner Bakery - in that order.

So, I eat my pizza for breakfast because it's ready in 10 minutes, contains some protein, and reminds me of Al Ain.

No comments:

Post a Comment