Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lucious legumes

I've disliked lentils since I was 12 years old and my dad fed me canned lentil soup (I think it was Health Valley). I've avoided them like the plague; just the sight of them creeped me out...always opting out of daal at Indian establishments...actually I've had an aversion to the pastiness of a variety of beans for some time - including foodstuffs prepared from beans such as hummus and falafel (unless prepared exceptionally well). I will, however, eat certain dishes prepared with kidney, pinto, and fava beans.

I know better. I know all the nutritional benefits of legumes. I even know that they fix nitrogen in the soil. I know that beans would help me reduce the amount of my family's meat consumption, which I desperately want to do, but beans really turn me off. Or at least they used to.

Abay fasts on Mondays and Wednesdays...one day she offered me the timtimu...I obliged because it was Abay, and I loved it. When I made it for lunch last week it was a hit. I didn't hesitate when the APO told me to add 1/3 cup of lentils to the oxtails; I added almost a cup...those oxtails are so filling it's ridiculous.

Now I'm searching for interesting, flavorful, ethnic lentil recipes.

1 comment: