Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lunch from the East

This blog and the correlated cooking thing is apparently an excellent vehicle for procrastination. In the middle of my day it occurred to me that the remaining ziti was not going to be ample. I decided to make an additional entree. I went into the kitchen to see what was available - dried lentils, 3 packages of TJs frozen corn, frozen okra, frozen collard greens, and frozen spinach. I also had romaine lettuce, baby spinach, and onions.
I decided to make timtimo, basically lentil zigni - I started with onions and tomatoes and went from there - it didn't turn out as spicy as I'd hoped but was quite tasty, almost sweet. For the side dish I made okra...sauteed onions again, and a little tomato with a bit of curry...this dish was also good.

My dad texted me to see if I was hungry...I'm thinking he was either going to do Chickie's or that deli in Sharon Hill...I texted back that I had cooked and he could stop by. I realized I was going to need another dish so I tossed the baby spinach, corn, red onion, with a balsamic vinaigrette that I whipped up. My dad arrived before my husband returned with the injera and mango nectar. He also had his buddy with him, we invited him in as well. Ideally we would have all eaten from a central plate, instead I set everyone up with an individual plate.

The food was very good, masha'Allah...the old fellas were pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment