Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Precious pots

Today was a long day.  Mondays always are - driving to the Bronx, teaching, prepping, teaching, driving back to Philadelphia.  My prep time was absconded by students wanting instant gratification.  I never really got a chance to catch my breath - I graded papers then created yet another document that explains how to write a book review.

I am starting to feel a bit overscheduled - I am notorious for rippin' and runnin' but lately it seems that my days are packed beyond the point of productivity, and I have consecutive busy days to top it off.  Ok, so I'm not working a typical 40+ hour work week, but I am putting in hours - preparing lectures, grading papers, teaching classes, oh and NOT preparing a research proposal.

I ended my Trinidad exploration with a thud. The pelau I made yesterday was unimpressive.  Today I realized what I forgot to do...confirming that it was indeed flat, despite assurances otherwise.  Disappointing food aside, we had a great impromptu dinner in the company of great friends.  I don't know what my next dish will be...I want to do lentils around the world, or at least throughout my culinary cultures.  I have no idea where to start.  I guess I'd better start asking people - it is so much more authentic when an actual human provides insight about their culture through food, rather than gathering information from the internet.

Yesterday it became clear that I am going to need to purchase another pot. I'm thinking the Le Creuset 71/2 quart French Oven.  My 5 quart is not adequate, and I'm feeling a bit ridiculous having to constantly transfer stuff to the 9 3/4 roaster that I've been using.  For most stuff the 71/2 would be excellent.  Then I went online to price it - $300. Seems like a luxury item in the midst of this economic climate.  However, enamel covered cast iron is precisely what's needed for simmering.

I have a set of Le Creuset (flame).  I knew that they were high-end pots but I had know idea of the actual cost .  Grandmom Lou gave me her set of pots in 1994, after she had them for 40 years.  I also have a set of Cusinart pots that my sister-in-law bought me in 1998 - these are my everyday pots.  I remember how excited I was to get them - 18/10 stainless steel, stick resistant interior, stay cool handles.  I am thinking that I will likely purchase a comparable alternative to the Le Creuset - I can't justify the cost, particularly when there are so many people with empty pots, if they possess a pot at all.

1 comment:

  1. Chef Isa says to remmember the laughs around the good, hot, filling food we had! Thanks so much for having us over. He suggests an exploration into lamb shanks with lentils. If he wasn't such a slacker, he would be a follower already. I will have to take him in hand. He is also feeling the Le Creuset Frenchie (I think that is what he called it). It will go a long way towards making it easier to continue your exploration. Where to next? Hmm, maybe some north African examples, who can we stalk?

    ReplyDelete