Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Birthday Biryani

What kind of lunatic starts preparing biryani at 9pm? Me, that's who.

Earlier this week I decided that I would surprise my daughter with biryani for her birthday...I haven't made biryani in a few years so I was a little apprehensive. I make biryani using the Indian technique...I went to a friend's house so that I could learn the steps - and there are quite a few steps.

I cut a few corners with this batch of biryani, instead of the mortar and pestle, I used a cuisinart gadget - and probably made way too much - 8 lbs of chicken thighs - why?

The last time I ordered biryani it was terrible and tasteless at Tiffin.
Recently my friend made Pakistani style biryani and it came out decent...totally different taste and technique...it's really quite amazing when I think about the many varieties of biryani I've tasted - Indian, Pakistani, Punjabi...I'm sure there are lots of local variations, just as there is with garam marsala. I have identified biryani as the flagship Indo-Pakistani dish - whether this is true or not beats me.

Biryani became a bit of an addiction back in 2004 or 2005 at International Day...International Day is an event at my children's old school that allows people to showcase their culture - material, culinary, oratory, etc. For some of us that is quite difficult, considering our most distant known relative might've been a sharecropper that traveled north for the Great Migration.

Since that International Day, all we know is biryani - we have likely done ourselves a disservice by limiting our repetoire to biryani when I'm certain that these women can cook many other traditional dishes. Actually one person's biryani has become the gold standard to which all others are compared, masha'Allah.

Ummh, mendi lamb...a lamb and rice dish similar to biryani that I had in Oman. The lamb is cooked using the pressure underground for several days and is very tender and bursting with flavor.

Some cultures are meat and potatoes while others are cultivated with rice.

My chicken biryani turned out decent. I think it may be way too spicy for my son to enjoy (the spice is not on the tongue, but definitely hits you in the chest - the chilis were so hot that I was coughing just from chopping them) and I clearly used too much garlic-ginger paste. Something is lacking, rendering the flavor not quite authentic - it might be because some of my garam marsala ingredients were past their prime - but it's a good start.

My coach has turned into a pumpkin, so I will make the raita tomorrow.

1 comment: