Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thyme for tails

I love oxtails but have never considered preparing them. I usually get them from my local Jamaican take-out establishment. Keeping in line with this Caribbean theme, on Tuesday I thought I might just give this a try. I called the APO of my program and asked her for her recipe (her husband is from Trinidad). She told me the ingredients and the steps and then mentioned two seasons that I had to get - green seasoning and meat seasoning. She casually mentioned that the seasonings you get "back home" are much better than those you buy in the store...obviously I got excited because I've been known to covet powder.

The powder.

I drove to her house in Co-op City to get the key ingredients - they remind me of hara and garam masala. I was just too tickled with myself that I had authentic spices. This morning I was all set to get started, but I had forgotten a few ingredients. I spent several hours ripping and running to stores this morning because I didn't take a list while on a wild goose chase for thyme, which is a key ingredient in some island cuisine.

I went to 5 different purveyors of produce and was unable to locate thyme. I was pretty pissed off because I saw thyme at the Wegmans in Cherry Hill on Tuesday. Also, prior to becoming a "has been," I used to grow thyme (among other things) in my backyard. Needless to say, I had to resort to the dried stuff - there was a teeny weensy jar of McCormick for $4 and I just couldn't bring myself to pay it. Fortunately I went to a store with a specialty section and purchased the thyme for $1.

I deviated from her instructions slightly; I just can't help myself. The only "recipe" I follow is biryani; everything else I alter or I combine several recipes...I don't like the idea of being a cooking drone.

This, like the pepper pot, has been a lengthy process...but it was so worth it - I only wish we had a bit more meat (my husband bought 7lbs yesterday and it seems a bit sparse - it's mostly bone - I guess I shouldn't complain though, many people only have access to meat products on Eid al Adha, if at all).

I made some accompaniments - greens (I went out on a limb and experimented with these to work with the theme, not bad - I was inspired by my husband's cousin who makes the best greens I've ever eaten - I didn't have nerve to call and ask for her recipe - I doubt she would share it anyway), pigeon peas and rice - and a cake - for now I'm calling this simply tropical cake for lack of a better name - I took one of Grandmom Lou's cake recipes and made some adjustments. The cake was tasty but once again, my cake stuck - this is not looking good for the future of Lazeez Goodeez.

I forgot to make the plantains - I guess I got caught up in a mad dash...trying to get the food finished, needing to comment on rough drafts, needing to beat the traffic to Blackwood, and wanting to taste those tails.

Savory.

I was a little concerned because the color and aroma did not resemble what I was accustomed to. This stuff was delicious, lip-smacking good. The gravy is delicious by itself - I didn't need to go to the trouble of making the pigeon peas and rice concoction - plain rice would've been fine.

Trini tails are terrifically tasty.

1 comment: