Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Back to biryani

In order to avert Friday night takeout I decided to make biryani.  I thought it was early enough in the afternoon and I had all of the ingredients at home (if I substituted the "laban" for yogurt) , even for the hara marsala (left over from the Thai) except green chilis and rice.  Technically I could have substituted with the jasmine I had at home but who knows how that would've turned out so I scraped together $15 to buy a 10lb bag of tilda. 

I came home at 4, fried the onions, skinned the thighs, then got to work mixing up the marinade for the chicken, etc.  I stuffed it all in my 5 quart cuisinart (I don't have a de chi pot) and let it cook.  When my husband walked
in the door a little after 7, he said, "wow, it smells like biryani, and it didn't take hours to make."  In fact, although I wasn't tired (running on adrenaline from a successful work week I suppose), it had taken many steps and a significant amount of time to prepare. 

We sat down and ate as if it were a basic chicken and rice dish...everyone helped themselves to seconds and thirds.  I suppose ethnic dishes have become a bit too common place in this house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment