Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mason-Dixon

This summer we weren't up to taking that drive into the Carolinas.  Instead we opted for National Harbor.  I've previously mentioned that I am not necessarily a fan of this pseudo public place - I can't help but wonder if there has been a negative impact on the residents of Oxon Hill having access to the waterfront.  But, it's a great change of scenery.

The one good thing is that there is both a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's located in Old Town Alexandria - I have not been able to locate these stores in the parts of South Carolina that we frequent - maybe because the demand is not there.  I suppose the reality is that these stores appeal to folks of a particular demographic who have been disconnected from food production. 

Upon arrival we went to both stores to get our basics but I did not buy any produce because my master plan was to procure it locally since I had crossed the Mason-Dixon line into the South. I did however get ground beef and a butterflied leg of lamb from Whole Foods.  I went to Maine Street Fish market for our traditional dinner and bought some Carolina shrimp and was a bit dismayed at the limited selection of wild fish. I think my fear is to the point that if it's not coming directly out of the water, then I am only buying from Whole Foods.

The DC Metropolitan area is quite urbanized but fortunately I was able to locate a "farm" just a few minutes away in Clinton, MD.  Miller's Farm put me in mind of the family farm stores in our area.  I bought kale, okra, vidalias (obviously not local), dried cayennes, cantaloupe, and sugar baby watermelon - $20.

After a misguided trip to Annapolis to inject money into the economy via Nordstroms and Borders we arrived back at 915p.  The kids got into the pool and I went ahead with dinner as planned.  I seared the lamb and cooked it in the oven for 30 minutes.  I carmelized onions, added tomatoes, and cooked the best okra I've had since I can remember.  I also made the kale and a watermelon sorbet.  Today I'm planning a cantaloupe sorbet.

I've been watching America Eats on the History channel - salty snacks, sodas, and ice cream.  I think my next experiment is going to be soda syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment