Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, July 11, 2011

Hunters and gatherers

There's something about my new colleague that screams progressive lifestyle, which is why she shocked me Friday by eating pizza and drinking Sprite with a Diet Coke chaser.  It gets worse - today she went to the food cart for lunch and came back with a cheeseburger, cookies, and a chocolate milk.  I immediately got on my soapbox because I had a hunch that she knew better...and she did.

Before I knew it she was telling me about Philly Cow Share and I was grinning from ear to ear thinking about those angus cows I met in Santee.  I realized that I since I no longer am a Greensgrow CSA member, I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of local food production.  I asked her how she knew about it and she said that her gym promotes healthy lifestyles including the paleo diet as in paleolithic - meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts - things available before the domestication of plants and animals - hence no grains, dairy, or sweeteners.  I bet they don't promote eating burgers off of a food cart. 
Clearly this is not for vegetarians because legumes are a no-no but I'm thinking I might try to do the 30 day challenge.  I know I've talked about this type of thing before, but this seems achievable and I could feasibly start right after Labor Day.  Who's with me?

3 comments:

  1. I subscribe to the theory that most things are okay in moderation. I am not with you haha. Not only can I not give up milk and cheese, I just don't want to. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember I asked about the Paleo diet a while ago - I think we talked about it briefly. This is a problem however, because the biryani that Isa made the other night was so tasty, I have been taking the leftovers for lunch for two days now. I'm pissed off that I have to have something else tomorrow.

    Anyway, I want to know more about the Paleo diet, Like, I understand the no dairy, but what about wild grains? No sweeteners, but what about honey? I'm going back in to check it out. I'll post what I find...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Paleo will be easier than the Daniel that I previously suggested. I'm going to try my coffee with coconut milk to see how I like it.
    I did a little digging and apparently there's some anthropological questions about the claims of the diet.
    Do you think it's possible that people could've eaten wild grains during that time - how would they have prepared them? I guess a mortar and pestle? How would the chaff have been removed from grasses?
    I think the paleo says no sweetners but they include honey, maple, and agave. I guess that's another question for anthropologists.

    ReplyDelete