Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Quick quiche

My daughter requested quiche as her welcome home from camp dinner.  I was so glad that I picked up the ingredients while I was out with my grandmother on Thursday because yesterday the weather was unbearable. 

I did however have the brilliant idea to snazz it up with crab meat but I didn't think I could justify putting $25 lump crab meat in a quiche so I called Shop Rite to see if they had some on sale.  The problem was that when I got there the sign said imported.  I immediately got nervous because I certainly did not want "fresh" crab meat from China.  I thought I might go with the pasteurized stuff in the can but that's always sourced from China...and of course Chicken of the Sea was not an option.

I picked up the container and it was from Venezuela, so i went out on a limb for $12. 

As I picked through the crab meat, I notice three things - only 25% was actually lump, there were lots of shell bits, and lots of liquid. 

I made one plain spinach quiche because I wasn't sure if my daughter would go for the crab additive.  The other three I made with the crab.  Hands down, the crab was the best...only problem is that I missed a couple of shell bits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment