Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, July 11, 2011

Distraction

I have been asked numerous times about the lack of intersection among my work (urban education), my passion (cooking), and my academic pursuit (human geography).  There is an underlying commonality - justice - access to education, access to quality food, and being saddled with the burden of landscape.

I learned a new word - bistronomy - and it is timely because I recently went to a gelateria and found myself amazed at the price point.  My first brush with gelato was at Capogiro's 7 or 8 years ago; more recently I get it at the Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting.  The gelato I had last week was just as delicious but targeted at a different demographic.  While I ate, I kept marveling at how the masses would be able to enjoy it because the upscale decor associated with gelato in this area has been stripped down to a family friendly decor. 

Although it's likely that the ingredients aren't sourced locally, seasonally, and sustainably - this normalizes the gourmet foodscape a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment