Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reality Check

I've always thought that the distinguishing factors between my cooking and other random good home cooks, is that I incorporate a bit of technicality, I use good ingredients, and I'm not afraid to take risks and expand my repertoire. 

For over 10 years I've dreamed of opening a cafe, but cafes are a dime a dozen - what would distinguish mine?  I'm not sure...I don't really have a signature dish...there is no flagship meal that I make for company...everything is always a cultural theme of sorts.  Perhaps it's the quiche that I've been making for 20 years or the carrot cake that's in retirement?  At one time it was roasted chicken...but what are my main sides?

We have been watching Master Chef as a family for the past month or so.  This has been a dose of humility.  Although I have a keen sense of smell (and taste), and I can usually pull a meal an impromptu meal together, I can't hold a candle to the creativity that is produced by the home chefs that are competing on this reality show. 

I've been inspired to step my game up. 

1 comment:

  1. You know you have to put in the work to learn the rules first. Theory first, then come the jazz riffs and improvisations! When I can I watch this show also. Especially since I live with a former (underline the word former) chef! I think you have been doing well, especially considering all the friends and family you have inspired.

    ReplyDelete