Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Across the pond

I bought the hake only because it was wild caught and on sale at WF ($6.99/lb), as a protein fish has become a little too rich for my blood so we haven't had much of it recently.  The guy said it was like cod so I figured I would take a stab at fish n chips.  I love fish n chips, done right.  New Deck on Penn's campus used to have decent fish n chips (heavy on the batter), Dock Street on the other hand was a mess when I went last spring.  The grease was filthy and the fish seemed previously frozen.  The best by far was Betty's...so that's what I was aspiring to as I haven't been to London in two decades.

We didn't get home until 530 yesterday, so I was glad I was cutting corners.  I had a bag of cole slaw mix and a box of fish n chips mix hence I spared myself significant prep time. I mixed up some mayo, lemon, sugar, and trocamore for the cole slaw then put that in the fridge while I started home fries.  Then I mixed up the batter, dipped the lightly seasoned fish and fried.  I was a little heavy on the batter but it was very good. 

Clearly the key to fish n chips is high quality to fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment