Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sensational simplicity

I'm not sure why but we always have quiche when we visit SC.  Last night I did a spinach quiche (mostly cheese & spinach, heavy cream, and only 3 eggs); sauteed shrimp with garlic; and steamed oysters.  The oysters were so good my daughter questioned why we bother with mussels.  Because we don't live in the Low Country.

Because I have nothing but leisure time, I've been reading The Post & Courier all week.  There were several Charleston restaurant reviews and one mentioned purloo, which I had to Google to figure out that it was basically a jambalaya.  An excellent option for our last vacation dinner.

We went to Whaley's for lunch, the scallops were as succulent as I remembered; then a walk along the beach.  I was stuffed so I didn't get started on dinner until 7.  Sauteed onions, garlic, green pepper, tossed in the last beef sausage, a diced tomato, then simmered in broth while I peeled and deveined the shrimp.  I added the shrimp then served over grits (rice is the appropriate starch) with the leftover okra on the side.

Not only was I able to use up the remaining groceries but it was simple to make yet bursting with flavor. There's nothing like Low Country cookin',

No comments:

Post a Comment