Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Coconut curry

 I have been zooming around all day like I'm on speed.  I woke up this morning and started with cookies - money and inventory...I've become obsessed with dotting my I's and crossing my T's...it's crazy because the majority of the money will be turned over to GSEP, but we are looking forward to doing wonderful things with our troop with the proceeds that we get to keep. 

Then it was off to the troop meeting, then cookie booth detail.  I hadn't even thought about dinner...we had Bertucci's pizza at the troop meeting for those girls who stayed to complete a special badge.  I love Bertucci's pizza - the crust and sauce are just right...the girls loved it too.  Around 4pm, I thought I would do something with the chicken thighs I had in the freezer, so I put the packages in water for a quick defrost (I am totally opposed to defrosting in the microwave...the fridge is my preferred method).  I asked my husband to cut up some onions and potatoes while I ran back to cookie booth, but still I didn't know what I was making.

Sauteed the onions (in butter), added garlic and ginger, then tomatoes...decided to make a mock garam masala by grinding cinnamon sticks, cardamon pods, coriander seeds, black jeera...then I added lime, cilantro, chili peppers, and then turmeric and cayenne pepper to the mix...I let that concoction simmer.  Seasoned the chicken then added that and the potatoes to the pot.  Then I decided to pour coconut milk into the pot (I had soaked saffron threads in it) and simmered that, I steamed broccoli on the side...the result was a curry that was a cross between Thai and Indian...my husband said it was so good that it made him want to keep eating more. 

2 comments:

  1. I might have to bite this one! Nesting is the best, especially when you are creative like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdullah, that Allah has bestowed upon you such a blessing and gift to be able to create at the level that you do. It is a wonderful thing do and experience when you like you are in a comfort zone in a kitchen and the ideas from all the favors that have come across your palette gives you the thoughts like making your own garam marsala and adding the Thai influence of chilie and coconut milk. "Wow"

    Then having my brother and his family helping you out to pull and put things together again , wow. May Allah continue to you and your with coming together on such things and more, Ameen.

    Isa

    ReplyDelete