Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, January 18, 2010

For the love of butter


I am sitting here eating fish n grits and am thinking about the rich creaminess of butter...today I went heavy on the butter (I use unsalted) as I was reminiscing about the Farm Show (my baked potato was served with a large slice of creamy, fresh butter)...butter is made from churning cream (this can also be accomplished by using a hand mixer)...I think I want to step up to either "homemade" butter (using a high fat heavy cream) or European butter (85% vs 81% fat)...I have fully embraced butter and all of it's luciousness. 

Butter often gets a bad rap.  Cholesterol and all of these other heart-disease related issues came to be associated with fat - fat is what makes butter so delicious.  But it has become increasingly clear that butter is not the culprit...lifestyle is the problem - poor food choices and sedentary behavior are equally accountable.  Have the French's affair with butter produced as many health problems as American's affair with processed foods?

Enter margarine (or oleo as my grandmother used to call it - essentially invented by the French)...chemically processed fat (or a water in oil emulsion) dyed to look like butter (undyed is shortening) and promoted as an healthy alternative. We are discovering that food science is not always the best alternative to food that comes out of the ground, especially when it comes to fat. As I'm imagining putting Crisco on my grits, I'm thinking I'd rather have butter.

As I indulge myself in butter, I think a French cooking course is in order.  I'm not talking about the courses offered by Viking (I did a Spanish one once and was underimpressed) but a French cooking class in France...there are tons of culinary tours and cooking school vacations available...if you're interested, let me know and let's plan something for June. 

5 comments:

  1. Two interesting websites: http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/index.html
    http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/french-cooking-school-vacations

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing idea - I hope you go so you can tell us all about your experience. I'm certain that is something I'd like to do, maybe with my child (assuming I have one) when they're old enough to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking the French way. hmmm I am intrigued but I don't know if I can do this in June. Let me think about it. But the experience would seem divine to say the least. I always thought I would to go the food and wine festival first. Have you ever been? That may be a good starting point. Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't you just imagine, fresh food on the French countryside...The Food and Wine Festival might be nice, but it certainly isn't France...although I'm a bit anti-Disney (the corporate consumerism that it embodies), I might be willing to go to Epcot (without kids) for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine being on the country side, eating away. I don't think you will be happy with Epcot. I was there for Christmas last year and maybe I missed the rest. with the French cuisine but I was not impressed. If memory serves me correct we ate at a chicken and burger place. We should look into classes in New York or California.

    ReplyDelete