Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, January 4, 2010

Liberian girl

I talked to my nephew's girlfriend today and as always I asked about food.  This was timely because although I have food stockpiled in the freezer, I had no plan for dinner.

She explained that they were "a coastal people" so they consume a lot of seafood.  She told me about a quick shrimp dish, so I went for it.  No, I didn't have wild caught, I used 16/20 shrimp out of the freezer.  I sauteed onions, peppers (green and chili), tomatoes, and seasonings for the "gravy".  I made basmati rice and then realized that I needed something on the side - the last of the okra out of the freezer, sauteed with onions and garlic.

I have a confession - most of the time I use Betty Crocker's cornbread mix...I searched high and low and not a package to be found...so I had to make the cornbread from scratch - the consistency and color was different, not the pleasant yellow that results from who knows what in the package- but it was appetizing and made with whole grains.

We enjoyed the food, and the shrimp were surprisingly tasty - I steamed them with a pepper as she suggested and the flavor was greatly enhanced.  Liberian peppers are pleasing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment