Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Liver and onions

Veal has been publicized as the evil offspring of the dairy industry - baby male cattle ripped from their mothers and forced to live a caged, malnourished existence before being slaughtered.  The meat is tender and seems to be a staple of Italian and French cooking; veal is a delicacy.  For some reason, perhaps the pink flesh, I've never been a fan of veal.

I've always loved calf liver and onions - fresh, not frozen, sliced relatively thin served with gravy, rice, and spinach - then I went to Betty's in Chippewa, they're famous for their fish and chips but their liver and onions were excellent - served with potatoes and veggies.  Something was different about the liver, no gravy, but it was also the seasoning - I couldn't figure out what it was, worcestershire sauce perhaps...it was tender and delicious and I've been wanting liver ever since.

Today I was in Whole Foods and noticed pasture-raised veal, complete with a bulleted disclaimer - this peaked my interest.  That's when I saw the veal liver for $5.99/lb and thought about how tender it must be and then recalled the delicious liver I had at  Betty's. (BTW - I'm not sure if I've mentioned this previously, but Betty's is located one town over from Niagara Falls - if you want to get away from the "strip", then Betty's is a must visit for some good home cookin').  I asked the butcher to cut me some more and then asked for a 50 cent per pound discount - he obliged.

I cooked it the way I normally do, only I used butter instead of oil and I added worcestershire sauce, it was very tender.  We had it with basmati rice and asparagus sauteed in butter and garlic.  It wasn't quite Betty's but it was good nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment