Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Edible Eggs

Although I love quiche, eggs are probably my least favorite food. Eggs are unattractive and I don't care for the smell.  It's kind of creepy when you consider that eggs are part of the chicken's reproductive system.

Because I don't eat pork, I have limited options when we go out for breakfast such that I end up with a plate full of starch. Eggs are chock full of protein and lots of other good stuff, so I started eating omelettes at the Marriott - a veggie omelet with just enough egg to hold it together (not every chef can pull this off). 


Obviously, I'm preaching to the choir - everyone knows the benefits of consuming eggs thus egg production is yet another segment of factory farming practices - hens spend their lives in cages in a constant state of reproduction - laying egg after egg.

I started making omelets at home a couple of years ago, as an alternative breakfast protein source (sausages and bacon get boring, so I'll often do seafood); I found that while fasting, eggs can sustain the body for an entire day.  Back in September, I was on an omelet spree that ended abruptly because of the egginess. Last night, while at Wegmans, I bought stuff for an omelet (bulk spinach, baby bellas, and tomatoes - I already had scallions at home)...this morning I made a 4-egg veggie omelet that was just right.  

2 comments:

  1. I love eggs and maybe you should try brown eggs. Also I am happy to know that you found Wegmans isn't it fantastic they are building close to my job. I can't wait. (Roz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started stalking Wegmans last year - I teach in Cherry Hill and stopped in one evening to pick up a few things...been strung out ever since. Good customer service, great selection...there's one in Collegeville.

    For the most part we avoid factory farm eggs and my husband likes the brown cage-free; eggs just aren't my thing.

    ReplyDelete