Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, January 27, 2012

Gravy

I finally made a Whole 30 attempt at a family favorite - liver & onions, rice & gravy, and spinach.  At first I couldn't "think outside of the box" with liver because I couldn't imagine it without gravy...however my Ethiopian friend stopped when I was in the middle of cooking and told me that they eat it for breakfast sauteed with onions, pita, and tea.  

After more thought than was necessary, I finally had a plan and was able to successfully execute it tonight. The only problem was that the liver was frozen.  I placed the package in cold water, cut up onions and garlic for the kale, then more onions, then pressure cooked the cauliflower.  That's when the doorbell rang and the cauliflower ended up cooking under pressure for at least 15 minutes - needless to say, I didn't need my stick blender.  

I sauteed the onions in grapeseed oil, seared the liver, made gravy with coconut flour, then simmered for a few minutes.  I served the liver & onions atop the smashed cauliflower (my son thought it was mushy rice & my daughter thought it was strange mashed potatoes) and we had an enjoyable meal with no leftovers as usual.  

No comments:

Post a Comment