Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, January 16, 2012

Will power

We got off to a rough start but we managed to make it through Day 1, kind of.  I planned to make the hash for breakfast but the sausage was still frozen so that left me scrambling for ideas.  I was ready to delay the start until my daughter suggested mango smoothies - I poured some almond milk in the blender, added some frozen mango and topped with flaxseed; we had a handful of almonds on the side.  I knew this wasn't an ideal breakfast, but it was better than nothing.

When we arrived at the MLK Jr. Day of Service the kids went crazy gobbling up muffins and donuts like they were going out of style, promising that they would start tomorrow.  Since I hadn't prepped anything at home, we stayed for the luncheon, this proved to be a bit of a challenge.  The menu was essentially chicken, mac & cheese, salad, and lots of dessert.  I chose the baked chicken, the salad dressed in balsamic vinaigrette, and a spoonful of yams...as I ate, I could taste the hidden sugar in everything.

I came home and got to work prepping because I didn't want to have another day like today.  First, I cleaned out the refrigerator and did a quick overhaul of the cabinet.  Then I set up a snack station of nuts and fruit.  Finally it was time to tackle dinner.

I had planned to make the Paleo Chili, using green beans & carrots in lieu of beans...I made some slight adjustments by making the stock veggies more prominent - onions, garlic, green peppers, celery, ground beef, tomatoes and an array of seasonings - I rolled out the Bragg sea kelp delight and the TJ South African smoke for the first time, in addition to chili powder, etc.  I ended up dropping in an entire bag of baby carrots and had no room for the green beans so I sauteed a zucchini with garlic to use as a topping.

It turned out to be a cross between a chili and a stew, but it was very good and I managed to stop them from getting thirds, so there just might be enough leftover for tomorrow.  We topped off the meal with herbal tea.

1 comment:

  1. Great first day!! Special events are definitely the hardest to navigate, and it will take a couple tries to get it down pat. Preparation is key and I like this snack station idea. Searching through a fridge or cabinets to find snacks when you're already hungry doesn't exactly set you up for success.

    For my breakfasts, I cook a lot of meat on the weekends and cut it up into bite size pieces. Then, in the morning, I can just throw a handful in with a cup of spinach and 3 eggs. Much easier than cooking meat and eggs.

    ReplyDelete