Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, January 30, 2012

Simplifying

We are at the half-way point and I'm finally getting a handle on meal planning and grocery shopping; despite the citrus craze, I spent far less money this week and I'm really using what I have at home rather than stockpiling food in the fridge, freezer, and pantry.

I took out a "london broil" (although there is really no such cut of meat)...this was likely a top round roast that I intended to prepare as a beef london broil.  I'm down to the last few pieces of my cow share...we had liver again last night and will likely have the oxtail Thursday and then I have no idea what I'm going to do next week other than pay retail for grass fed beef, which will run my grocery bill back up.

This morning went smoothly because I made the caveman custard and was able to get lunches packed in a snap.  The first week I was messing around with salads and making dressing everyday; last week I moved to turkey and hardboiled eggs (I resurrected the egg cooker from deep in the closet); this week it's tuna, hardboiled eggs, & celery...plus their regular snacks of applesauce, green beans and nuts.  I'm starting to worry that we might be consuming too many nuts (we've been going through 2.5 pounds per week - rotating almonds, pistachios, and cashews - but maybe that's not too bad for 4 people) but I'm not going to sweat it.

In the midst of the morning spent with the plumber here AGAIN, I decided that I was going to have to put the london broil in the crockpot because I couldn't bare the thought of cooking.  I was a little nervous about slow cooking this cut of meat but part of me thought - who cares if it's not tender.  I didn't want a pot roast so I made an asianesque sauce - tamari, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and I squeezed in a blood orange for sweetness.  I put the meat in the pot with celery and onions, poured in a little stock, seasoned the meat, then poured in my sauce and cooked on high for 5 hours - 3.5 would've probably been sufficient but it came out good nonetheless.  We had string beans and pressure cooked butternut squash on the side; I didn't even bother to slice the meat.

It was a relatively simple yet tasty meal...I'm starting to think I've been over-thinking food and am loving Whole 30 for broadening my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment