Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Unprepared

Yesterday went relatively smoothly.  We capped off Day One with a fantastic dessert of a pseudo bananas foster - I sauteed 1 banana in coconut oil (my new best friend) and topped with nuts - the kids loved it.  We had butternut squash and sausage hash for breakfast (I am so glad I bought the cubes instead of the whole squash) and I was able to get the lunches packed with relative ease - mixed greens, topped with TJ 8 chopped veggie mix, and grilled chicken thighs - I made the dressing the night before (raw acv, dijon mustard, oil oil, & kelp seasoning).

By midmorning I realized I had skimped on the breakfast portions and hadn't provided the kids with ample snacks - we are trying to limit fruit to twice daily but they need something to ward off the temptation at school.  I ended up stopping at Nutbox in Brooklyn to pick up a snack for the drive back home and went a little overboard - I bought Turkish pistachios (they melt in your mouth), dried plums (not prunes), dried guava (my favorite), a nut mix, and coconut chips.

Despite a hectic day, we managed to make it until dinner (leftovers) and I did another fruit dessert - I cut 2 granny smith apples in half, sprinkled apple pie seasoning, and pressure cooked with coconut milk; I topped that with coconut chips, flax seed, and nuts - very good.

That's when the panic set in.  I realized that I am completely over scheduled for today and tomorrow and wasn't sure how I was going to pull off dinner.  I had my daughter peel the sweet potatoes for breakfast and decided that I would attempt to make a crockpot meatloaf somehow between my dentist appointment and my midday meeting.

This morning I went downstairs and the kitchen was in disarray, that's no good when you're racing against the clock to get breakfast prepared and lunches packed.  I got downstairs at 618, 8 minutes too late.  I started grating the potatoes because I planned to make latkas but I realized how ludicrous that was considering that the school bus driver could only wait until 650 (10 minutes past our scheduled pick up time).   So I decided to attempt sweet potato home fries.  I think I'm going to need to get a mandoline, or pull out the attachments for my stand mixer.

I sliced the sweet potatoes into sticks, diced up half a small onion, sauteed, and topped with nutmeg.  I fried the beef bacon (grain fed but nitrate free), and then fried the eggs (too hard).  It was a very good combination - my daughter loved it.  I threw the lunch salads together and as I was telling them to get some sort of vinaigrette, I realized that the added sugar would undermine our efforts so I quickly mixed up my mustard vinaigrette and added a splash of pineapple juice.

By the time everyone walked out the door (late), I felt so scattered that my was heart was racing.  I planned to relax as I ate my breakfast before I embark on this whirlwind of a day, but foolishly chose to multitask and pay bills while I ate...needless to say, I'm far from relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment