Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Trial and error

I've been trying out different things to keep the Whole 30 interesting,  My husband said that as long as the food keeps tasting good, we can have the same menu over and over.  Of course I like variety and am constantly trying to think of new things to cook.

Girl Scout cookie season began Thursday, not only did we have a cookie booth scheduled but my kids had dental appointments and my son had ice hockey.  I was nervously anticipating a hectic night so I took a couple of hours to be proactive.

I put a meatloaf in the crockpot - I mixed the beef with shredded cabbage, fried onions, dijon mustard, diced tomatoes, an egg, and seasonings.  I sat it on a few stalks of celery and cooked it on high for 4 hours. Once I had that set, I made a veggie quiche for breakfast.

I was very apprehensive about it being eggy, because my quiches, like my omelettes are full of vegetables and cheese with minimal egg.  But I stuck to the recipe (eggs, coconut milk, mustard) and tried to go heavy on the sauteed veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, leeks, spinach).  I poured all of that into a glass pie dish that I greased with coconut oil.  It was edible but I think the kids have grown accustomed to less of an egg taste so I will try it again but this time with 3 eggs instead of 4 particularly because it made the morning rush so much calmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment