Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Slow cooked sausage

I had a surprisingly simple dinner tonight and now I'm trying to figure other recipes that are just as easy.  Last night I flipped through GRIND while my son was at yoga; the issue was about using the pig from snout to tail so it featured a recipe for sausage & cabbage.  It just so happened that my friend gave me a pack of nitrate free chicken sausages so I thought I'd give it a try.

The recipe simply calls for layering the ingredients in the crockpot and cooking on high for 3-4 hours...

1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 cooking apples, thickly sliced
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup apple juice

Because I was a little concerned about flavor intensity, I used cider instead of juice (and a splash or so more), a large onion, and I seasoned the cabbage well.  I also substituted turbinado for the brown sugar.  It was delicious - not too sweet, with a little kick.  Next time I would probably use the entire head of cabbage.

Due to ice hockey, Tuesday has become crockpot night so I'm on the hunt for yummy recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment