Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pseudo pasta

So it seems that we are not authentically implementing Whole 30...largely because of the desserts...but the key is sustainability, and what we're doing seems sustainable for the family.  At the end of the 30 days, we probably won't do full blown Paleo, but we will continue to limit our intake of grains, sugars, and dairy.  We've been talking about doing that for years but could never quite make it happen...now we have the tools and creativity to maintain it.

Paleo's emphasis on "history" has been bothering me a bit; particularly because the idea of the "caveman" connotes someone of European descent, and that's not me.  Considering that mankind originated from present day Ethiopia, I feel that expands the potential for food choices.   Additionally, there has been archaeological proof of mortars and pestles being used in the paelolithic age.  So my version of paleo will likely incorporate "ancient" grains in moderation.

I have to cook everyday because there are never any leftovers.  As a result Tuesday & Wednesdays are crockpot days.  Last night I attempted a coconut crusted cod with pressure cooked beets and steamed brussel sprouts.  I say attempted because the fish coating did not come out as planned.  Today I was able to do a sausage and red sauce over noodles.

While I was searching for kelp noodles, I came across another Korean vermicelli noodle - made from sweet potato starch - I thought these would be a great substitute for pasta, and while they have a bit more body than the kelp, they are still glass noodles.

I sauteed onions, garlic, and peppers, dropped that in the crockpot with a jar of spaghetti sauce.  Then I put in browned turkey Italian sausages, topped that with diced tomatoes and a bit a seasoning, then added in turkey kielbasa for good measure.  It cooked on high for about 3 hours.  I served it over the noodles with a side of haricot verts.  My mom said it was delicious.

The pot might as well be empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment