Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Craving crostata

Apple crostata is the only form of apple pie that I like...I prefer peach cobbler.  My daughter has been asking for dessert (largely because she's binged on refined dessert at least once per week during this Whole 30) and I finally obliged.  The only problem is that I didn't start making it until 815.

I sauteed sliced granny smith apples in coconut oil then tossed on apple pie spice and vanilla and let steam until they were soft.  I made coconut pancakes as my "crust".  The pancakes were a little dry but they worked with the topping.

I wonder if I could've made a sauce by cooking down some apple cider...

Today is the last day of our Whole 30, my 10 year old son was the only person that demonstrated will power (he's trying to get a $10 Target gift card).  I don't think tomorrow will look much different than today because we're not going to go crazy largely because we don't have a bunch of refined products in our house.  I can't imaging going over the edge with baked goods or dairy products because frankly, I'm not that interested.  Although we've had some bumps along the way I'm not sure that we will start another Whole 30 on Sunday.  I know we have consumed some hidden sugar because there were labels that it didn't dawn on me to check until after the fact, and there was the Super Bowl incident, but I'm feeling pretty good about where we are and I think the psychology of restriction might be a contributing factor to my husband and daughter's quest for cake.

I will keep experimenting with coconut flour but I will probably mix it with barley and add a little maple syrup for sweetness.  My multi grain chocolate chip cookies (oats, barley, whole wheat flour) will be the biggest challenge, but that'll be in moderation.

So we'll see what happens and if things get slippery, we'll jump back on the Whole 30...the main thing is that Whole 30 has helped me find a way back to the way we ate when I was growing up.  I feel good that my kids have developed sophisticated palates and have knowledge of whole eating; even if they slip at some point, they will have roots to which they can return.  I think my dad would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on sticking with it, even with the "bumps". 30 days can feel like a VERY long time sometimes if you're not "in it to win it" and you were and did it! Like you said, what a great example for your children. Good job!

    ReplyDelete