Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, February 6, 2012

Fiasco

We left home with a strategy but things took a terrible turn and seemingly went from bad to worse.

We made my husband's uncle's house our first stop because they generally have a variety of food. There was quite a selection but we went with fish, bbq chicken, and cabbage. I'm sure the sauce had sugar but it was the best we could do.  He held himself back from the beans by eating the smoked turkey neck.

My daughter desperately wanted a pepsi and her father tried to rationalize it because my son has been having mayo. I told him he was comparing apples & oranges and a cup of caramel colored chemicals was not an option. I reminded him that we were never going back to that...our soda would be something I make or a spritzer.

My daughter managed to restrain herself but someone walked in with three homemade cakes (lemon, rum, & carrot), which they immediately coveted. I suggested that we leave, particularly because I really wanted a slice and was beginning to have stomach pangs just thinking about it. My husband went into this entire spiel about how good we've been doing and how we should reward ourselves instead feeling deprived.  I couldn't imagine how anyone in this house could feel deprived since I've been cooking nonstop since we started.

I warned him that it was a slippery slope but he had a slice...finally I succumbed and had a sliver...before I knew it, he had consumed 3 additional slices.  Needless to say, I was appalled.

We left and went to his sister's. She offered us a seafood stew, it had spaghetti noodles so I declined. My daughter however had a bowl. When it was time to leave he sat down and ate a plate piled high with lamb ribs, greens, and string beans. I had an immediate flashback of the demise of the south beach he tossed out the window while on vacation some years ago.

It's this "treat yourself" mentality that causes me to avoid the "diets" that he often tells me about. I thought the Whole 30 would be a success because I didn't consider it to be a diet, I thought of it as a reset...but something has gone terribly wrong with the messaging to the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment