Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ground nut stew

I haven't made anything since I slow cooked the turkey thighs last Thursday.  I was all set to make lamb today, until I returned home after 4 days in NYC and the house looked like it had been ransacked...stuff was strewn about the living room, laundry was spilling over, and there were dishes piled up in the kitchen...I immediately decided to go on strike for the rest of the week.

This morning peanut butter was "featured" on Good Day...first as a donation item for Philabundance and then as an ingredient for sandwiches beyond pb&j.  Since my kids' school is participating in The Great Food Fight, I figured I'd get some peanut butter in addition to the pasta and canned goods I was already planning to purchase.

I'm not a fan of peanuts so I didn't really miss them during our Whole 30 but I wanted to make the peanut butter soup that the nurse from Sierra Leone told me about last week.  I was inspired by all of the peanut butter talk on the news so there's no time like the present...I  figured it would get me through the next couple of days of my strike.

I sauteed onions, celery, and garlic then simmered in stock.  I pureed it with my stick blender then added a few frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs and a half of jar of natural peanut butter.  I added a bit more stock, celery tops, tomatoes, tomato paste. and diced yams.  I sprinkled in some seasoning and topped it off with some sliced leeks.  I reluctantly made a small pot of jasmine rice as a base for the soup and let the soup continue to simmer while the rice cooked.

I ate a small bowl and I'm stuffed (not sure if it's because it's so filling or because of the grain/legume combo)...it was absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment