Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bessie

I was overly excited when I picked up my cow share today.  I don't know if it was because I'll be sinking my teeth into some quality beef or just the idea of supporting local food production.  The down side is the cost - if you cross the Atlantic below 30 degrees, a "grassfed" cow is $300 rather than $2600.

I have 1/8 (40 pounds) of a cow, half of which is ground meat and patties and the other half is steaks and  roasts.  In addition I have the tail and quite a bit of liver so I'm good to go.  The deep freezer I bought 10 years ago is back in use. 

I am designating Thursday as burger or salisbury steak night because I'll be working and that'll be an easy meal (probably with a frozen veggie).  I'm also going to have to have a spaghetti night but I would like to mix it up a bit by ethnicizing (yes I just made up that word) the meat sauce, varying the shape of the noodle, and rotating the vegetable.  I think my first dish might be a bechamel, then maybe some version of a pastitsio, and maybe even a nacho lasagna. 

Now that I think about it, there's plenty to be done with ground meat other than meatballs and meatloaf.  I could go Asian with wontons or lumpia.  And I'm sure pancit with ground beef would be tasty - I could put that in my pasta rotation. 

I'm so hyped!

No comments:

Post a Comment