Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chasing cheese

I have enjoyed cheese since I was a child, blue cheese in particular. When I think of good mac and cheese Its ooey gooey and made from a nice blend. I'm particular about pizza because nothing's worse than cheap mozzarella.

I didn't really begin to experience cheese until 10 years ago when I fell in love with prima donna and was introduced to asiago.  There are cheeses that I'm not fond of so when I'm at an event with a decent cheese plate I usually go for bries and blues with a bit of fruit.  However, it's been hit or miss when I buy cheese from TJs and try to pair it up with something.

In hindsight that seems wrong. If I won't buy "fresh" meat from TJs, why do I buy cheese.  It wasn't until I started reading Mastering Cheese that I realized should be thinking about cheese production the same way I think about meat production. It never occurred to me that a dairy cow would be fed something other than grass. I suppose that's why you can obtain "fine" cheese for a fraction of the cost.  I don't want my liquid dairy products made from cows treated with hormones and the same extends to cheese.

The book arrived today so I thought I'd read a bit before bed and thought how nice it would be to eat my last bit of brie with some cherries but when I went to the fridge I remembered that I had gobbled it all up. Its a good thing that I only buy 1/4 pound pieces because otherwise I'd be a cheese glutton.

This book has my name all over it. Its organized similarly to a textbook but written in an accessible narrative and its kind of set up like a self study course. After reading just one chapter, I've already learned quite a bit -cheese is jam packed with nutrients.  And now I know I don't have to force eggs on myself; instead I can opt for a piece of cheese and fruit and start my day off right, Mediterranean style.

I'm clearly going to have to reevaluate my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment