Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday night shanks

I'm really liking the randomness of this cow share.  Once weekly I send the kids to the freezer to get a pack of burgers, a pack of ground beef, and a roast or a steak.  I organized the freezer so that these items can be easily accessed - the liver and tail are on the door and everything else is organized by shelf.

I was finished earlier than expected today and I have to run to Brooklyn tomorrow so I thought I'd make the roast for a late dinner.  The roast was actually soup bones (ossobuco style).  As far as I know ossobuco is made with veal (and we all know how horrendous veal production is).  Nevertheless, I have no idea about the flavor and didn't feel like looking it up, so I went with what I knew, a stew. 

I seasoned and seared the meat, sauteed onions, carrots, and celery, added a bit of pasta sauce (because it was in the fridge leftover from my daughter's raviolis), and broth.  Then I let it cook and tossed in a clove and a sprig of thyme.  We ate it with cabbage and butter steamed potatoes.  Now that I write this, it sounds like a strange combination, but I'm literally just pulling meals together and everything was very flavorful.  Not a bad $12 meal.

Those shanks made some savory gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment