Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Early Start

My son took a rump roast out of the freezer Friday night and I realized this morning that I wasn't sure how to make it.  I know that it's a less tender cut but I was torn because grass-fed beef contains less fat and requires a shorter cooking time so my only solution was to use the temperature probe. 

I didn't want to over power the meat with flavoring so I rubbed it (tomato & garlic paste & everyday seasoning) while it sat out of the fridge.  I created a bed of sliced onions tossed with grapeseed oil; added a 1/2 cup of water, then poured a little mustard vinaigrette over the beef.  I sprinkled with kosher salt then cooked on 500 for 30 minutes.  There was one snafu - aapparently setting a wet pot on a hot oven glass results in a crack.  The inside glass on my oven door is now cracked but according to the various online forums, it's still safe to use.  I will call Kitchenaid tomorrow to order a replacement. 

After 30 minutes, I reduced the temperature to 275 and before I knew it the beef was done.  I had started early because I assumed it would take a long time, but my meat was ready by 11am.  Next time I would probably drop the temperature to 250 to account for the convection and possibly extend the cooking time.

When I called my grandmother to invite her over I told her that I had no sides and would have to dash to the store.  She told me to go back to the fridge to try to pull something together because it didn't make sense to run to the store and buy something.  I had corn on the cob, a bag of frozen haricots verts, a bag of baby carrots, and a bag of sweet potatoes that had seen better days. 

I sauteed the green beans with onions, garlic, and tomatoes; pressured cooked the carrots and potatoes in fruit juice; and roasted the corn-on-the-cob in the oven.  I made a gravy out of the onions and drippings to heat the meat.  The meal really came together and the best part was that we ate by 4pm (I haven't eaten Sunday dinner that early in ages).

Unfortunately my grandmother didn't have enough notice to bake a cake but because everyone expects her to come bearing dessert, she stopped and bought a sweet potato pie and a rum cake.  The dessert wasn't bad but it wasn't anything to write home about either.  Homemade and store brought (or box) cakes are two entirely different things.  My son decided to read the ingredients and boy were we in for a shock.  My grandmother kept saying - why do they have to put so much stuff in it?  Shelf-life, texture, and cost were the only possible explanations.  Next time, she'll just pick up ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment