Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Prosperous palette

I knew I was in for trouble when my aunt suggested that we "run down 9th Street" - of course that meant a trip to DiBrunos.  She bought her olives, tomatoes, and peppers and I bought seafood blend and artichokes.  Then we started the cheese ordeal.  I call it an ordeal because she never knows what she wants and her palate seems to change from week to week.  Fortunately Zeke is not only patient, but he is knowledgeable enough to provide an array of samples that will guarantee a couple of sales.

The French gruyere was more subtle than the Swiss counterpart because like wine, coffee, and chocolate - cheese is also impacted by terroir (cows are what and where they eat).  Today I went domestic with noble road, a raw milk brie style cheese from Pennsylvania - even the rind was delicious; and cabot's clothbound cheddar.  Needless to say, I ate it in one sitting and finished it off with a cup of decaf.

When you cross the threshold into DiBrunos you are transported back to a time when purveyors of food engaged with their customers.  These cheesemongers know their stuff such that I learn something new with each visit. 

Because I've only scratched the surface with cheese, Zeke recommended "Mastering Cheese" so that I can learn more - I've already placed my order on Amazon (I know that's a bit of a contradiction).  The only problem I have is that cheese is paired with wine or beer so I will have to find non-alcoholic alternatives to thoroughly enjoy the experience of cheese.  Izze, spritzers, sparkling cider and grape have always seemed a bit too overbearing.   Perhaps I'll have to learn a bit more about pairings or sample vignette or one of those fancy pants sodas like dry, gus, or 12...something with a bit more zing than varietal grape juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment